It is no secret that cats have a reputation for being mischievous creatures. Naturally curious, clever, sneaky, and agile, these feisty felines are well-skilled at getting into trouble. Picking a name for a new kitten is a big task, but it does not have to be intimidating. For some owners, choosing marvelously mischievous cat names are the perfect fit for their purr baby’s playful personality.
Bringing home a new kitten is an exciting time. Owners have a lot to do, getting their homes set up to be kitten-proof and gathering supplies like beds, crates, toys, food, litter box supplies, and more. Picking a name is one of the most exciting parts of welcoming this new family member home. A pet’s designation is significant, as it is one of the owners’ main communication tools with their animals. Finding something to perfectly represent an owner’s wants and fit a cat’s personality can be tricky.
A mischievous cat name is creative, fun, and unique. Many owners seek something that stands out and sets their pets apart from the rest. We love the idea of creative, mischief-inspired cat names and have compiled over 200 ideas to get the creative juices flowing.
Names That Mean Mischief Or Mischievous
To be mischievous means that one likes to cause playful trouble. Mischief is not intended to cause harm or serious trouble, nor is it malicious. A mischief maker is a joker, a trickster, and a bit of a playful nuisance. This can also be said of most cats. They are playful, fun, and curious, and while they might want to get attention and mildly annoy you, most felines do not intend or try to cause harm. Some names mean or are synonymous with mischief. Let’s explore just a few.
- Akiji – This gorgeous female epithet comes from Africa and translates to mean both “dead and awake.”
- Briar – An English word that means “thorny.” It can be a male or female title.
- Eris – A female name and also the Greek goddess of chaos. The Roman version of this goddess goes by Discordia.
- Kaylus – This is an English title that translates to “troublemaker.”
- Kolohe – This is a Hawaiian word. It can be male or female and translates to mean “naughty,” mischievous, “or “unethical.”
- Leesi – A beautiful, yet slightly roguish, handle with African roots. It roughly translates to “bad woman” and makes a very unusual and beautiful title for a female kitty.
- Khaos (or Chaos) – A female and, in Greek mythology, refers to one of the most primal features and presences of the universe.
- Mala – A ladies’ title of English origin that means “the bad one” and is commonly used as a girl’s moniker.
- Nova – Comes from Latin and means new. This makes an adorable call sign for a male or female.
- Penelope – A beautiful title for a female kitty and is from the Greek language. It translates to “weaver of webs.”
- Pixie – most commonly a female designation with English roots. It means “mischievous fairy” and can easily apply to males or females.
- Phoenix – The mighty Phoenix refers to a tremendous mythological bird, reborn of fire and ash.
- Pyro– From the Greek word pyr, means “fire.”
- Rascal – A long-used term for a mischief-maker or naughty person.
- Riley – An Irish name that means “courage” or “courageous one.”
- Rogue – Refers to an outcast, a standalone, a lone wolf, and makes a fantastic and unique pet call sign.
- Sujah – A male title that has roots in Indian culture. It roughly translates to “a brave and fearless boy,” which accurately describes many male cats.
- Tempest – A name that means “stormy, “turbulent,” and “tumultuous.” This one can be male or female and has both English and French roots.
- Ursa – Latin word meaning “bear” or “bear-like.”
- Wilder – A male moniker that means “untamed one,” a very accurate description of many house cats.
Mischievous Cat Names For Boys
Male kitties are big, bold, and strong, letting you know who is in charge. Many male felines are full of energy, playful, and very talented at stirring up trouble. They often push boundaries and test what they can get away with. For these kinds of kitties, one of these mischief-inspired male epithets might make the perfect moniker.
Mischievous Cat Names For Girls
Girls can be crafty, creative, independent, intelligent, wise, and enthralling. Getting up to a bit of mischief every now and then sounds exactly right for every sassy girl. Some words just invoke a feeling of mischief, fun, and a little bit of chaos. One of these charming female titles may fit your pretty kitty just right.
Magic Cat Names
The world of magic is often intertwined with much mischief. Mystery, magic and mischievous characters all go hand in hand. If you want to christen your new kitten something a little mysterious, slightly enigmatic, and a tiny bit magical, one of these magical phrases might cast the perfect, playful spell.
Mischievous Cat Names That Start With M
Mischief starts with the letter M, which is a perfect place to start looking for the perfect moniker. Whether you want to call your purr baby Missy, Mister, or Monsieur Puff Paws, plenty of mischief-making monikers begin with the letter M. We started with the following, but the possibilities are magnificent.
Crazy Cat Names
Sometimes being mischievous means embracing your wild side. Some owners do not want an idea that sounds like anything else. Giving your pet a call sign that really pushes the envelope is one way for you to be slightly mischievous. Finding a unique and somewhat crazy cat name can be an incredibly fun adventure. There really are no limits with this one, but hopefully, one of our silly, zany naming ideas might inspire you.
Playful Cat Names
Felines are incredibly playful creatures. They can be taught to play games, do tricks, give high fives, do agility exercises, and more. Kitties love to play, so a playful title might just do the trick. Finding a playful idea is a lighthearted way to have fun and christen your purr baby with something you will always be happy to say.
The entertainment world is made-up of sassy, funny, trouble-making female characters. Looking to movies, books, television, podcasts, and the wide world of entertainment can be a fantastic way to find a unique, trendy, and perfectly fitting naming idea for a cat.
Choosing a name for your new kitten is a large task. While it may seem like a simple word, a name is the most important and powerful communication tool pet parents have with their animals. This word will be a pivotal way you connect with your purr baby throughout her life. You will need to use this term, she will need to recognize it, and other people around you, including veterinarians, pet sitters, and groomers, will also use it. Picking a mischievous cat name is fun, creative, and unique. However, there are a few things to remember when picking that perfect call sign for your new kitty.
Naming Tips For Owners
- First, keep things short and sweet. Felines understand shorter, one and two-syllable words easier than longer terms. If you pick a lengthy word, make sure to come up with a few shorter nicknames that kitties might respond to better.
- Try to avoid naming your kitten something that sounds similar to another pet or person’s name. You do not want to confuse your pet or have your children or family members think you always call them for dinner. Try to find something unique that sounds different from anyone else’s name.
- You also want to avoid words that sound like common commands. Words that sound similar to commands will confuse your kitty and make teaching her a new moniker much more difficult.
- There is wisdom in the advice to keep things simple. This means trying to avoid getting too fancy or making too big of a deal when picking a pet’s new title. Try to pick something that is easy to say, easy for your pet to understand, and that she will learn quickly.
- You do not want to pick anything that might sound offensive or inappropriate. While your kitty will not know what it means, other people will. Be respectful of others, and do not pick something that will make anyone uncomfortable. Selecting an inappropriate word also causes others to judge you and, more importantly, your pet before they even meet you.
- Consider your kitty’s personality, appearance, and breed when picking a name. You also want to choose something that will stick with them and be appropriate from kittenhood until their senior years.
- Remember nicknames. For every idea you consider, try out a few nicknames. This is important because our pets often end up being called by these “pet” names.
- It is important that owners do not stress out or put too much pressure on themselves or their pets during this process. It will take some time to pick out the perfect thing. You may even have to try out a few names and change your mind if something does not work. Therefore, it is perfectly fine to take this time, and owners should not be too hard on themselves.
- Finally, once you have made a final choice, understand that a kitten will take time, training, and patience to learn this new title. Offer lots of positive reinforcement, like treats and cuddles, when she responds.
Felines are full of energy, curiosity, and mischief. Embracing this impish and playful spirit is a fun and inspiring way to find a unique and beautiful moniker for your new kitten. Owning a cat is a wonderful experience that will bring you a lifetime of happy memories. Giving your pet a title that feels good and fits her well is essential. Hopefully, one of these mischievous cat names on our list has inspired you. Remember, have fun, be creative, and embrace your feline’s feisty personality. You will eventually find that purr-fectly perfect name.